Feb 3, 2013

Thing 1 and Thing 2

Roommates!

I have two of them while I'm here:



One goes to school in Georgia, and the other in California.  I'm smack in the middle:  Dordt College, Iowa.  I was pleased that they both knew where Iowa was.

Here's Sonya, from St. Louis:


She almost always has this same sweet smile on her face.  She likes singing, reading Shakespeare out loud dramatically, sturdy walking boots, and scarves.  We met by chance in the noisy Heathrow airport the day we arrived.  She came up and said, "Um, are you by chance going to Oxford?"  "Yes!  You are too?"  "Yes -- I'm Sonya."  "Oo-hhh -- I think you're my roommate!"  She gave me a big hug.

And this is Meredith (Mere), from Oregon, looking deceptively scholarly in this photo:


She likes hedgehog socks, making tea for people, and biking fast down hills.  She is determined to make me cultured (mainly by playing Frank Sinatra music and making me watch Lord of the Rings).  She reminds me of my sister (she calls me names like "Punk," talks to me in odd voices at odd hours, threatens to curl my hair and take other liberties, and makes me proofread her papers).  She is perceptive and endearing and companionable.

...And here's the three of us together, out for Mere's birthday dinner at the Eagle and Child:


4 comments:

  1. So .... what did you think of the LOTR movie(s)??? Annie watched it over Christmas break for the first time with Nathan after reading the trilogy. Now she is on her 4th time through the books.... plus she is writing down all the funny/ quirky things each character does. She was thrilled just now when I said you had watched the LOTR! She has become almost obsessed with the characters and we had to put a stop to all conversation about it at the supper table. Even the little girls have chimed in and they don't have a clue what it is all about! Your roommates sound like fun gals and I am sure you all will become life long friends. Thanks for introducing them! I am curious what they say at a restaurant when ordering a Coke or Pepsi..... soda or pop?
    Blessings to you and your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooooo . . . who mothers whom? ;-)

    glad to hear there are good people to take care of Caroline so far, far away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preston says that you need to ask them the Questions and let us know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greet your roommates for us (and thank you for introducing them). It's nice to know you have good company.

    ReplyDelete